Quizzes (sometimes called Tests or Assessments) are used to evaluate your learning, and can include a variety of question types (true/false, matching, multiple choice, etc.). You may find them at the beginning of a course, to assess what you already know—or at the end of a course, to demonstrate what you’ve learned.
Watch: About Quizzes, Tests, and Assessments
To complete a Quiz/Assessment/Test activity:
- From inside the course, click the activity name to open it.
Note: if the quiz link appears “greyed out” and doesn’t respond when clicked, there are probably other activities you must complete before the quiz is available for you to open.
- Every quiz is set up differently, so carefully read the quiz details and instructions before you begin. These can provide crucial information about the quiz!
- Attempts allowed, if applicable (the number of times you’re allowed to take the quiz), and number of previous attempts (if any)
- Grading method, if applicable (the way your final grade is calculated if you attempt the quiz multiple times)—Highest, Average, First, or Last.
- Grade to pass, if any (the minimum score you must achieve to pass the quiz and achieve completion)
- Additional special rules (i.e. “you will not be able to return to previous questions once answered”)
- Additional question details (i.e. “some of the questions have more than one correct answer” or “you will not receive any feedback on your answers, other than correct or incorrect“)
- When you’re ready to begin, click Attempt quiz now.
Note: if you’re returning to a quiz you’ve already partially completed, the button may say Continue the last attempt instead.
- Answer each question according to the instructions provided.
Note: not all quizzes are evaluated the same way. There are three different feedback methods you may encounter in the LMS: Immediate Feedback, Deferred Feedback, and Interactive Mode (learn more).
As you work through the quiz, you’ll notice that each question displays a Question Info block containing (some or all of) the following information:
- Question Status (Not complete, Incorrect, Partially correct, Correct)
- Maximum grade points available for the question
- An option to flag the question (Learn more about flagging a quiz question.)
- When you’ve answered all the questions, click Finish attempt.
- Review the Summary of attempt page, which displays each Question Status (Complete, Not complete, Incorrect, Partially correct, Correct).
- Select Submit all and finish to complete your attempt. (Quizzes with Deferred Feedback allow you to use the Quiz Navigation block to jump back to previous questions and update your answers before submitting.)
- Review the feedback.
- If you’ve met the quiz’s passing requirements (or if there are none), congratulations! You can now move on to the next course activity.
- If you didn’t achieve the minimum required score, you must retake the quiz. If you don’t have any remaining attempts, contact the course trainer.
Each question is checked individually
Some quizzes include a Check button below each question, and you must check your answer before moving forward (these questions usually warn that “there is no going back after moving to the next page”):
- Once you’ve selected your answer choice(s), click Check.
- The Question Info block to the left of the question will display if you’re Incorrect, Partially correct, or Correct.
All questions are checked at the end of the quiz
Others do not include a Check button below each question, because your answers are checked all at once (after you submit all your answers).
- Some Deferred Feedback quizzes allow you to use the Quiz Navigation block to jump back and change your answers before submitting.
- Otherwise, the system will warn you, i.e., “There is no going back after moving to the next page.”
Questions are reviewed individually, but allow multiple attempts
The last type of quiz requires you to submit each answer individually, to be immediately graded. In addition to immediate feedback, these quizzes allow you to re-attempt a question if you answered incorrectly.
- If you submit an incorrect answer, click Try again and reattempt the question.
- If you answer incorrectly too many times, the question may be locked and you will be assigned an incorrect (or partially correct) grade before moving on to the next question.